Skip to main content

Small Hand-bound Vintagy Shabby Chic Journal

Small Hand-bound Vintagy Shabby Chic Journal

Shabby Chic Journal with removable charm
Hi folks........ITS THE WEEKEND..WOOWHOOOOO!

Now that I have gotten that sudden act of madness out of the way, I shall begin.  Haaahaaa, sorry, Im just laughing at myself saying "sudden act of madness".  I think its fair to say that "sudden" is not the correct term.  Lets face it, I think it would more much more accurate if I was to say "sudden act of sanity" in my case.  Its probably the more rare behaviour on my part.

Anywhoodles, before I start into how sane or in fact insane I am I would like to share with you this little journal I made.  Its quite a small wee thing, I think the pages are about A6 in size so its a dinky dainty wee journal.  As some of you may know, and indeed some may not I am self-taught in Bookbinding.  Therefore, this pretty little journal is all made by me from scratch.  I made the signatures, sewed them together, made the covers, bound the book, decorated it etc.....its all done by me.  I havent just bought a notebook and decorated it.  No sireeee, this is all hand-bound by little old me.

So here are the photos (Photo heavy) and what Ive used to decorate it.  I also have a wee video of it at the end....AND.....Im talking in it!  Shock horror!  Well, Im kinda talking in it.....Im whispering but in my defence it was 6am in the morning when I filmed it and I didnt want to awaken sleeping Scrubby next door.

So here we go...

I covered the book in my lovely New Prima Paper I bought....yes dont faint, I actually bought some paper. Well it is part of my New Years Resolution....Im determined to have a paper stash!  This is from the Pixie Glen Collection.  I then used a lovely heart doily that I was kindly given in a DC swap from Maureen (Mojo on DC...thank you!).  I cut a strip of bling mesh from the roll and added it around the heart.
I wanted to protect the journals corners so I added these gorgeous metal book corners that I bought from ebay.  I love them, they are so pretty.
This dressform is from a beautiful new stamp set I bought from the Girl's Paperie.  Isnt in gorgeous. I coloured it will Victorian Velvet Distress Ink.  I curved the dressform slightly to give it dimension and put it on the front of the book with 3d foam so it sits off the front of the book and not just flat.
As much as it nearly died from frustration, I actually fussy cut between all the rungs of the dressform.  It was so bloomin' head pickling to do but ultimately it was worth it.
These wings were kindly sent to me by the lovely Karen (Redrottie), they are from a Tim Holtz die.  I coloured them again with Victorian Velvet distress ink and them glued a piece of stunning lace onto it.  I then added some stickles and blended it all over the wings.
I love this rose trim from SaCrafters on Zibbet (link no longer available). I have more ordered on the way for me and my buddy Maddy (Izzwizz).  I just cut a strip off the wide length and put it around the side and bottom of the journal.  I added little pearl beads to the centre of each rose.
I just love this cameo and it went perfectly with the vintagy shabby chic style of the journal
When I made the covers for the journal I put a little hole at the top of the spine using my Big Bite and added a gold eyelet.  I added a small piece of silver chain so I could hook and unhook my swivel clasp charm to and from it.  I added a pretty pink tassel on the charm too so it could be used as a bookmark.  But I wanted the charm to be a multi functional embellishment so it can unhook and be placed on your handbag, mobile phone, necklace, keys, belt etc. 
Obviously, I made the wee beaded charms to go onto the swivel clasp.  I love the beautiful glass beads taken from a necklace I dismantled that I bought in a charity shop
The back of the book.  Ohhhh lookie lookie, I got my very own handmade stamp made for me.  This stamp was excellently made from the wonderfully talented Nicky from Stampingallday.  Please do visit her website, she's incredible fast and is very willing to work with you and cater to your needs.  I emailed her to tell her what type of stamp I would like and she got back to me immediately and I had my stamp the very next day.  She is very sweet and so great to work with.  Honestly if you want to have a stamp with your details on it please do visit her website here.  Her work is of the highest quality and her prices are so reasonable.
Just a little nosey of the inside
And this is it.  One cute wee small hand bound vintagy shabby chic journal.  Made by Moi.  I love it, I think its so cute.  I didn't want to add any of my handmade flowers as I didn't want the front to be too bulky.  I want it to be a functioning journal, not just a pretty book to look at and not be able to write in it.

Here's a wee whispering video if you want to see it.
And that's it from me folks. I hope you like what Ive made.  As usual if you have any questions, please ask.  I have recorded a Bookbinding tutorial of the process of making this book.  I havent got it edited as yet, but as soon as I do and have it up on Youtube I will let you all know.  So, if you want to be able to make a journal like this, I will take you through it step by step.  I will get that video done asap.

Toodles Noodles....Lee aka Crafty Loops xx

If you want, you can buy me a coffee which helps me maintain this blog so I can make bigger and better content, simply click on the image or copy the link below.  No pressure at all, its just if you want to.  Cheers big ears!


Comments

  1. Wow Lee your wee book is truly, utterly gorgeous hun..! love all your elements, the flowers, cameo and the fabulous charm too...and thanks for the wee video sweetie :o)

    have a lovely weekend...and isn't it cold..we have had a dusting of snow already :o(

    big hugs Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee
    A gorgeous and beautiful book love all of the detail
    Hugs Dianne xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is beautiful♥♥

    100000 tak for at du deltager på card and scraps udfordring
    knusss♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful. You have such a talent for this type of crafting. Love the embellishments, papers, fab charms. Truly very special.
    Mags
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Stunning, all the beautiful details. It is a gorgeous book. Have a lovely weekend. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. stunning little book.. love the vintage /shabby chic details .. so pretty
    Thanks for joining us at MAWTT for our Have a Heart challenge
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya hun, great to see another post, do so look out for them, this is gorgeous, although I don't think I would want to use it would be scared to death of spoiling it. Love the border of roses with the little pearls the framed heart is fabulous and wow the charm is amazing
    Hugs Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning Lee I just love the amazing tassle you created! hugs Rebekah xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful, love every detail. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

    -Wenche

    ReplyDelete
  10. stunning lee,love it.great video. sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! Lee - this is absolutely stunning.
    So many amazing details - a gorgeous project.
    Thank you for sharing this with us at Crafty Ann's

    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous card!

    Thank you for joining us at SMC for our * New Crafty Goodies * Challenge.

    Hope you will join us again soon, good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wowwwwwwwwwwww Lee, that's so stunning! I love it!

    And thanks for the video... it's love to hear your voice if only whispering..... and from your fab chattery posts, who knew you could be so quiet! LOL!

    Hugs
    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Lee what a truly beautiful book you have made, love all the fabulous detail and the soft colours and great video too! Love Jayne. x x

    ReplyDelete
  15. A little masterpiece!! The detail is fantastic and you've made it with your heart! I love hearing your voice - makes me feel at home in blogland where there are not so many NI crafters...so proud of you!! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!!! This is stunning! Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Crafty Ann's
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your journal is just so gorgeous...unfortunately our rules state you can combine your entry with 6 other challenges only....but we would love for you to re-enter our challenge as your work is stunning.

    Sandie@Ditzy-Craftymess

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello a very beautiful Shabby Chic Journal and a great design.

    Thank you for joining us at Fairy Tale Challenge.
    **Karla

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a gorgeous little book. Love all the detail and that lovely charm. Would love to know how to make this from scratch so look forward to your tutorial. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lee you artistic girl! Love how you altered your book, the front is totally exquisite with that gorgeous dressform and charm, amazingly stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a gorgeous creation & all the fussy cutting was well worth it hun!

    Thank you for sharing with us at Divas, MAWTT & Sparkles MC, good luck!
    Hugs Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is stunning Lee, and every bit made by YOU!
    Love the corners and the cameo (and everything else) lol
    I would never have the patience to cut out that form but well worth-while
    Tilly x

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow,wow,wow book binding a lady of many talents, a stunning little book great details, your embellies are always fab, and that is the nicest cameo I have ever seen,did u have any luck with finding the diecut??????
    Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Lee.My very first job,apart from on the farm lol,was a book binder i loved it.

    Your creation is absolutely breathtaking,to think you did ALL of it must give you great pleasure,you are such a talented girl.It is truly Stunning,i am in awe.Hope you n Nimbus ok and hubby of course lol.Keeping warm n snug do you have snow ??? Huggles xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great altered book.. I love altered projects more & more, thanks for adding this to the Scrap It Girl, show some love challenge. This is really beautiful, totally my style. Love it~

    ReplyDelete
  26. That´s such a wonderfull book! You have add so many little details. It looks like you had much work making it! Thank you for joining us at Fairy Tale Challenge! xx Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow Lee, that is stunning! I love every little bit of it. Also that you for the link to SaCrafters on Zibbet - there are so many stunning trims and embellishments there! Your cameo is particularly gorgeous! hugs Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow this is fantastic lee.i love all your beautiful vintage details, so pretty :D

    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. this is a great idea! thanks for joining us at fairy tale challenge!

    hugs, becky

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh wow wow wow ... how super is that ... just love it ... you are so clever ... love everything about it ... and love your flowers tooooo ... I still have the ones I won in your blog candy ... cant bring myself to use them ... lol ... happy crafting and love sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a lovely journal, thank you for joining in at SMC this time

    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness I dont know which part I love the best its all stunning. Thanks for playing along on our Have a Heart Challenge this week on MAWTT, Love Hazelxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is a gorgeous piece of work, you are a really talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is lovely Lee! You have put an amazing amount of work into it :) Thanks for joining us in the mini challenge at Creative Craft World. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW Lee! What a stunning project. Can't believe you've bought some paper, you'll be making cards next! xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my word that's stunning! Thank tyuo for joining in with our mini challenge at Creative Craft World.
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  37. What an amazing piece of work - love all the details, must have taken you ages to make but well worth every minute, it is gorgeous x Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, it's so lovely ... thank you for joining us at Card and Scrap :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow Lee, this is absolutely stunning, so many gorgeous details, love it.
    Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. WOWEE!!!!! Lee, this is sooooo beautiful hun. Gorgeous design and the scrummiest of embellies as always. Hope you're snuggled up warm.

    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is absolutely gorgeous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Gorgeous work!
    Thanks for joining us at Card and Scrap:)
    Hugs, Heidi:)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh woe this is just gorgeous so many fantastic details thanks for joining us at MAWTT this week.
    Jenny x
    GDT

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh, it's an amazing work, so wonderful!!! Thanks for joining us at Stempelsonnenchallenge.
    XOXO Michi

    ReplyDelete
  45. hiya hun.i found somewhere online that sells the marilyn stamp.its here - http://www.cuttingedgecrafts.co.uk/cart.php?target=product&product_id=26450&category_id=662

    :D
    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh my word Lee! what an amazing litle book and to see that you made everything yourself too, you are uber talented. I love everything and there is so much! Your details are beautiful, thsi coudl be another heirloom in the making - Hugs, Teresa xx

    ReplyDelete
  47. WOW!! An absolutely stunning piece of artwork...good luck and thank you for joining us at The Artistic Stamper Challenge.
    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  48. out of this world - just love it

    kitten - DYSU team

    ReplyDelete
  49. Ok where to start (lol it's probably going to be another long and ramble filled comment from me). Your journal is just sooo beautiful, I LOVE those wings, they are a work of art by themselves. The gem heart, the flowers and the cameo are all gorgeous. The corners are so pretty and I absolutely adore that beautiful charm. Your attention to detail is truly fantastic and this is a stunningly beautiful project. I loved your little whispering video and I will be very much looking forward to your book binding tutorial, I also wanted to say that I think your accent is so pretty and you have gorgeous nails hun (a little off topic lol)
    Once again a really stunning journal, sorry if I have rambled for too long.
    Lindsay xx

    ReplyDelete
  50. wow Lee your cover is fantastic...theres so many beautiful things to look at and see but I must admit I have a real softspot for the cameo its gorgeous
    Mina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi Lee. This is really beautiful. You did such an amazing job on this - and I always love seeing your awesome creations. I also love the cabbage roses as well. Awesome work!
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  52. Wow Lee, that is absolutely gooorgeeeeeouuuusssssss lol. I love all the detail you've put into it, and to have made it from scratch yourself makes it all the more beautiful. The charm you've made is lovely too.....tut on this next please :-).

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh my giddy aunt Lee the creative juices are oozing out from you!!!!! WOW this is my kind of project and it is a real stunner!!!!!! Wow What a fabulous job on this journal!!!! I love it Lee !!!! Keep going!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  54. This is absolutely gorgeous!!! You have put so much work into it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. lee,this is truly a work of art,x

    ReplyDelete
  56. This is beautiful,Lee...I love the soft feel it has,the detail is all amazing.....Your so clever....
    Mandy x

    ReplyDelete
  57. Yeah! I got to hear your voice on your video. Love all the wee embellishments :-))). LOVE your stamp!!! Love the pearls on that flower mesh (wayhay, looking forward to our order arriving). Oh Lee, this is just gorgeous, and I can't wait to see your tutorial on how to make your own book. Absolutely well done and a big round of applause from me :-)

    Love Maddy x

    ReplyDelete
  58. Lee another stunning project, Its Gorgeous,Can't wait to see what you come up with next, Love your stamp thanks for the link i might treat myself,Bernice x

    ReplyDelete
  59. This is just amazing stunning gob smackingly beautiful. Yummy candy at Mina's waiting for you congrats on winning

    ReplyDelete
  60. WOWZERS!!! GORGEOUS journal...love, love, love all of the details, texture and bead work - STUNNING! Thanks for joing the Scrap-It-Girl "Show Some Love" challenge...I look forward to seeing more of your work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  61. wow so beautiful love all your gorgeous embellies especially the charms thank you so much for joining us at little darlings this week
    hugs sara x

    ReplyDelete
  62. Wow, you do some amazing detail work, so clever! I would be too worried about using it and messing it up!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Hi Lee, just stumbled across your blog and it has blown me away. I love your creativity and inspiration. This journal is just amazing. I have become and follower and will be back:)

    ReplyDelete
  64. Gorgeous creation in beautiful colours and nice details!
    Thanks for playing along with us at Fairytale Challenge
    Hugs Nela

    ReplyDelete
  65. Beautiful book - thanks for sharing with us at CCW!
    Trish x

    ReplyDelete
  66. Beautiful creation, I love all your fabulous embellishments and gorgeous touches, thanks so much for joining our challenge at Prairie Fairy Fridays, we hope to see you again soon
    Deb
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  67. Oh my! This is soooooo Pretty! It really is a work of art! Love the flower trim and your charm. Beautiful x
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  68. As always lee it's absolutely beautiful.the wings in particular are stunning!
    Kerry x

    ReplyDelete
  69. OMG, awesome creation hun!!!
    Thanks for playing with the Delicious Doodles Challenge this time, and good luck with the draw.
    Hugs,
    Teri x

    ReplyDelete
  70. WOWOWOW! A truly elegant creation! Wish it was mine! I love all the bling, and the charmcreation is sooo wonderfully cute. OH!
    Thanks for joining in on Fussy and Fancys PolkaDot challenge. Hope to see you again soon. Best wishes from Lisbeth K

    ReplyDelete
  71. Oh wow Lee, how did I miss this one, it's gorgeous, you are a very clever girl you know. It really is stunning, you make fab gifts & flowers. Hugs Teresa x

    ReplyDelete
  72. WOW this little journal is just gorgeous. It is plain to see the love that went into making this and someone is a lucky person that gets this as a gift.
    Thank you for sharing this at Delicious Doodles this time and hope to see more of your artwork in the future

    ReplyDelete
  73. WOW!! Super beautiful!!!

    Lee - you are very talented! xo

    -pamela :)

    ReplyDelete
  74. Gorgeous little journal. So much beautiful detail.
    Thanks for sharing at The Stamp Man.
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
  75. I can't speak I am too busy drooling over this one! This is sooooo gorgeous and soooo me! I know that you have told us before but where did you get the bling mesh? Love this!!! I haven't visited in awhile and adore the "Cabbage Rose" but have to go back and watch the video... and you always make me SMILE with your humor and almost wet myself with your Super Geek post!!! What is this... I'm getting bits and pieces of about losing our followers? Only hearing little bits about it! Anyway, it's always a blast visiting you!
    Crafty Hugs,
    Pendra

    ReplyDelete
  76. Thank you for leaving all the kind words you do on my blog! I really appreciate every single one! :) I love your style on everything that you make!! This journal is stunning! I love your watch on the next post. :)
    Michelle
    scrappinforkenzie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  77. Simply gorgeous, I love mixed textures and bling!!! Thank you for joining the Scrap It Girl Design Challenge this month!!!

    ReplyDelete
  78. Oh My! That is one gorgeous journal! Thanks for joining in on Scrap It Girl's "Show Some Love" Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Wow, I never made it over earlier, to tell you how beautiful this journal is, but I am here now to tell you that you won our Show some love Challenge over at Scrap It Girl. Please contact me soon so I can send you your goodies and give you our badge to display. Thanks for joining us, this is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Helloooooo! Anybody out there??!! Hey....there you are! Thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by my Blog. Lee x